Tuesday 25 September 2012

Alice in Wonderland Nail Art Series: Cheshire Cat

 "You may notice I'm not all there myself."




Hi friends! I'm happy today to make the first post in my "Alice in Wonderland" nail art series. I'll be doing a set of Wonderland themed nails every week, for the next several weeks. Hope you'll enjoy these! I've always loved the imagery from "Alice in Wonderland". It's crazy and can be a bit unsettling, but so colourful and fun.

These first set of nails are inspired by the Cheshire Cat, with his trademark grin, and disappearing stripes. If you look closely, you can see the pink stripes start solid on the middle finger, get slightly more transparent on the index, and then disappear completely on the thumb.


Polishes:
Left to right: OPI "Sparrow Me the Drama", Zoya "Reagan", Sally Hansen "White On", black striper
Directions:
Here is how I created the Cheshire smile. The Zoya brush was very easy to maneuver, so the thick purple stripes are painted freehand.


1) Paint two coats of white and make evenly spaced stripes with a striper.
2) Cut a smile shape from tape. I just modified a binder paper reinforcement.
3) Line up the smile with your cuticle, and make sure it's pressed down completely. 
4) Paint a coat of white on the remaining area to cover up the extra stripes. Then a coat or two of pink.
5) Remove the tape the reveal your wide Cheshire smile.


Finished! If you have any suggestions for me or specific designs you'd like to see, just leave me a comment!

Alice in Wonderland Nail Art Series

    14 comments:

    1. These are the cutest!! I love the cut out look wth your natural nail showing. This is a must try for me!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, I'd be really happy if you tried it! :) It's the first time I've played with any kind of cutout like this, it was fun!

        Delete
    2. I *love* Alice in Wonderland and this mani!!! Can't wait to see the others!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, I'm planning more designs as we speak! :D

        Delete
    3. This is so cute! I can't wait for the rest :D

      ReplyDelete
    4. Alice in Wonderland is my all-time favorite book and I love the Disney version of the movie too so I like these nails a lot! The stripes becoming more invisible from your middle finger to thumb is really cool.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks a lot! I recently watched the Disney movie again...so nostalgic hahaha.

        Delete
    5. Love this! Cheshire cat has always been one of my favourite character from Alice in Wonderland. I really like your take on creating the disappearing Cheshire :D Ohh and really looking forward to see the rest-different Cheshire take? Would totally love to see more of that, and other characters in Alice too! Like the caterpillar with the pipe smoking away, or the iconic white rabbit, or the disappearing pathways xD

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! Ohh yes, you've given me a good idea with the caterpillar! :D Alice in Wonderland just offers so many fun images and characters, there are so many possibilities for designs!

        Delete
      2. Ohhh, can't wait to see them all!! So excited! :DD

        Delete

    Thanks for leaving a comment! They make my day!
    Please do not use this section to drop links that are irrelevant to the post's content. I reserve the right to remove these. If you'd like to contact me, please e-mail me.